- 1.0 tablespoon olive oil
- 0.5 onion, finely chopped
- 1.0 small piece fresh ginger, finely chopped (optional)
- 1.0 cup raw white rice
- 2.0 cups water
- 0.5 teaspoon salt
- 1.0 small can water chestnut, chopped
- 8.0 fresh snow peas, slivered lengthwise
- 0.75 cup California ripe olives, wedged
- 2.0 tablespoons almonds, slivered
Heat oil in large saucepan and add onion, garlic and ginger. Cook on medium heat about 1 minute or until onion begins to soften.
Add rice and stir until grains are coated. Add water and salt. Bring to boil, cover, turn heat to simmer and cook 15 minutes.
Uncover, quickly add water chestnuts, peas and olives. Stir once, cover and cook another 5 minutes or until water is absorbed.
Remove from heat. Let rest a few minutes with lid on. To serve: Stir, put into serving bowl and top with sesame seed or almonds.
Makes 3 cups.